Waxoyling my sills with a surprise.

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Waxoyling my sills with a surprise.

Post by steve_earwig »

As most of you know the sills on my D8 rusted from the inside out. In order to prevent this I wanted to Waxoyl* the sills on my D9.

*when I say Waxoyl I'm talking about the local equivalent of course.

I changed all the clips holding the rubbers on yesterday, putting each back with a blob of transparent silicon (clear bath caulk?), so it'd all be dried by today. I started with the passenger (rh) side, up in the air, axle stands, wheels off. Then off with the liners - blimey, how many clips? :shock: Different to the D8, the back ones had a clip in the middle that spreads the legs of the outer clips inside, while the fronts have a square pin that you just push inside, amazingly it's designed so the clip can't fall inside the box members and they're actually reusable. Out with the plugs each end of the sill - I had a peer inside and it looked mint.

Then the screaming started. The gun that goes with the Waxoyl only has a 50cm tube but I wanted one to go the whole length, however I couldn't find a stiff tube of the right diameter. No problem, I'll use a length of screen washer tube pulled in on a length of 2.5mm mains cable. In it goes, squeeze the trigger and... the gun can't cope with the extra back pressure of my tube, the bottle expanded worryingly and then blew a load out of the bleed hole at the top. Suddenly it's raining Waxoyl :roll: Plan A then, I just poked the nozzle inside the sill and gave it a good dose. Still no sign of the mythical drains, so I drilled a small hole in the back of the sill. I'm not keen on weakening the jacking points... Other end done, plugs, blast of underseal, liners, wheels, down and next!

All was going fine until I did the front, then I had Waxoyl running out of the sill :shock:

I FOUND THE SILL DRAINS!!

Jacking points, shmacking points :frown: About 3" back from the end of the sill there's a bulge in the inner sill and what's meant to be a hole there. While it was draining I checked the passenger side, which was blocked of course, so out came a thin screwdriver:

Same at the back. Same on the D8!! How did we never spot them before?? :oops:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Waxoyling my sills with a surprise.

Post by Welly »

So the jacking points have drains? which get mashed up by hand-fisted tyre places? :roll:

At least the box sections were mint :mrgreen:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Waxoyling my sills with a surprise.

Post by steve_earwig »

No no no - they're not on the jacking points, that's the er, point. I always thought that would be a silly idea - "let's make the jacking points the bit that corrodes first!"

Bugger, I ended up doing that in full sun 'cos it took way longer than I thought , I just wanted to get it done though. I feel like total crap now :(
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.