trip computer installation

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jonsowman
3.0 24v

Re: trip computer installation

Post by jonsowman »

Just a heads up for everyone who helped me with this, I fitted the trip computer to my 2.1TD today. I wrote up a how-to which Gary kindly put in the KB section:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16864

Any questions, let me know, I'll try and help if I can :)

2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
DeeTurbo

Post by DeeTurbo »

Hi all,

My first post here, so please be gentle.

I have a 306 HDI and I have managed to fit a D8 trip computer. I've only done a quick test and all seems fine apart from it's showing metric (L/100km).

Now I've read somewhere that there is a cable that connects to earth that makes it switch to show UK MPG. Does anyone know which pin on the TC that cable is on?

Dee
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

DeeTurbo wrote:Hi all,

My first post here, so please be gentle.

I have a 306 HDI and I have managed to fit a D8 trip computer. I've only done a quick test and all seems fine apart from it's showing metric (L/100km).

Now I've read somewhere that there is a cable that connects to earth that makes it switch to show UK MPG. Does anyone know which pin on the TC that cable is on?

Dee
Really? Any pictures?

This is awesome! Always wanted to see a trip computer fitted to a 306!

Does anyone know if the 1.9TD Execs have a trip computer fitted?
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
DeeTurbo

Post by DeeTurbo »

To answer my own question it looks like my TC is metric only and the earth trick is to switch the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius.
Bailes1992 wrote:
Really? Any pictures?

It's still work in progress at the moment. I'm unsure of where to fit it. I'm thinking of mounting it where the original clock is but the TC I have doesn't have a time feature which is a bit annoying, it's also really annoyed me that it's in metric and doesn't show MPG just L/100km.

As far as I understand the old 1.9l can't take a TC as the fuel rate is not measured and most don't have ecu's.

I'm going to be away tomorrow for a week so won't be able to play with my car. I will stick up a couple of pics that I've already taken tomorrow.

I'm also going to be trying to fit cruse control as my next project.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

DeeTurbo wrote:To answer my own question it looks like my TC is metric only and the earth trick is to switch the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius.
Bailes1992 wrote:
Really? Any pictures?

It's still work in progress at the moment. I'm unsure of where to fit it. I'm thinking of mounting it where the original clock is but the TC I have doesn't have a time feature which is a bit annoying, it's also really annoyed me that it's in metric and doesn't show MPG just L/100km.

As far as I understand the old 1.9l can't take a TC as the fuel rate is not measured and most don't have ecu's.

I'm going to be away tomorrow for a week so won't be able to play with my car. I will stick up a couple of pics that I've already taken tomorrow.

I'm also going to be trying to fit cruse control as my next project.
Well the 1.9TD was availible in Exec trim so I would love to know if one had a TC as standard.

I think where the clock is, is a good idea. Could get a small digital clock like the D8 406 has and mount it next to it or something?

I was going to fit aftermarket cruise to my last 406 and my Focus but never got round to it, that will be an interesting modification too!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
sarkimi

Post by sarkimi »

Hi all,

could you please someone help me. I am looking after the communication protokol between the original radio and the trip computer (Old model D8). I think that the communication is on wires 7210 and 7211. Please correct me if not :oops:

So on what protokol are these two devices communicating?

Thanks.
albonidao

Post by albonidao »

Hello Peugeot riders
I have a peugeot 405 with tu5 engine and bosch me7.4.4 ecu (Made in Iran - Year 2011) .my car not multiplex and no bsi.
I would like to install a trip computer on my car.
What is the fuel consumption data pin on bosch me 7.4.4 ?
Wiring diagram attached.
Fuel consumption data pin in the wiring diagram not drawn.
Thank you very much.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7dass6qy3nqidh3
Harni

Post by Harni »

Hi Guys
First post and what not so better introduce my self. Im a mod on 306OC and have been shown this guide by Deeturbo (few posts above). Hes been very helpful and worked out how to do this on a 306 HDi but thats not very helpful for those of us that drive a 306 with a properly fuelled engine in it! :D

So, only thing that is different is the pin from the ECU for the flow rate. The GTi uses a Magneti Marelli IAW 1AP.10 ecu which interestingly, shares the same pin out as all 1AP ecus. So by that logic and looking back a few pages on here, i need pin 5 for my trip computer. Hopefully that might help a few people out!

Anyway onto my main point. Im not to clued up on 406's and have seen there is two types of TC (i think....). One that is just a clock and temp and one that is the full thing. Obviously i want the latter but does anyone have any way of identifying between the two when i go to my local scrap yard? Looking on ebay, ive found a few but nothing to tell the difference and i dont want to order the wrong one!!

Thanks in advance
Niall
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Hi harni,
welcome on in mate, 8)

ive not got aclue on the 306 trip installation sorry,
ilooked into adding one but gave up be good to see how its done, 8)
Harni

Post by Harni »

lozz wrote:Hi harni,
welcome on in mate, 8)

Hello bud :)

If you have a HDi, then there is a guide in the guide section on 306oc (would post it on here but its not my guide so wouldnt want to) on how to fit it. Only difference is with the other models is the flow rate pin which ive now worked out for the GTi ecu.

If anyone has a display for sale, im interested!
Im struggling to tell the difference between the time/temp only model and the full model on the ones on ebay!
RobTurbo
2.0 16v

Post by RobTurbo »

Count the bulb holders, temp display has one, full TC has 2
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Harni wrote:
lozz wrote:Hi harni,
welcome on in mate, 8)

Hello bud :)

If you have a HDi, then there is a guide in the guide section on 306oc (would post it on here but its not my guide so wouldnt want to) on how to fit it. Only difference is with the other models is the flow rate pin which ive now worked out for the GTi ecu.

If anyone has a display for sale, im interested!
Im struggling to tell the difference between the time/temp only model and the full model on the ones on ebay!
Mine is a petrol, 1.6 tu lump,
Harni

Post by Harni »

What ECU is it mate? The only wire that is different is the flow rate from the ECU. All the others are identical throughout the range of engines.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Harni wrote:What ECU is it mate? The only wire that is different is the flow rate from the ECU. All the others are identical throughout the range of engines.
Its Bosch iirc,

thanks
TheSongRemainsTheSame
1.8 16v

Post by TheSongRemainsTheSame »

A bit of a bump but I picked up a display for a friends d8 at the scrapyard. After reading here I clearly picked up the wrong one, as I only have the simple one :lol:

Anyway, his car seems to lack the connector. Are all d8's supposed to have this mounted? Can I wire it up myself if its missing?

The car is a '96 2.0 petrol.

Thanks!
Land of the Free?