Engine stopping on tick over

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

krissyn

Engine stopping on tick over

Post by krissyn »

A couple of weeks ago, just after starting the engine stopped on tickover (e.g. when changing between forward and reverse) this then happened whenever the engine was ticking over. It didn't splutter or cough, just stopped much like turning off the ignition.

After a couple of hours it was then all fine and hunky dory again. And yesterday the problem started again. If it keep my foot on the accelerator a tad, then the engine keeps running, but does 'hunt' a little.

I've had a look under the bonnet and checked all the wiring connections etc, it all seems fine. Spark plugs are also good.

Any ideas as what is wrong? Where should I start looking?

Thanks

kris
Blue406
406 Gimp

Re: Engine stopping on tick over

Post by Blue406 »

krissyn wrote:A couple of weeks ago, just after starting the engine stopped on tickover (e.g. when changing between forward and reverse) this then happened whenever the engine was ticking over. It didn't splutter or cough, just stopped much like turning off the ignition.

After a couple of hours it was then all fine and hunky dory again. And yesterday the problem started again. If it keep my foot on the accelerator a tad, then the engine keeps running, but does 'hunt' a little.

I've had a look under the bonnet and checked all the wiring connections etc, it all seems fine. Spark plugs are also good.

Any ideas as what is wrong? Where should I start looking?

Thanks

kris
Probably your stepper motor. It regulates the fuel/air mixture to the engine and can get clogged, causing this kind of issue.

Most of the time it manifests itself as an erratic/ unsettled tick over.

A few short rounds of revving solved it for me. Not that that is in anyway a suggested course of action.
krissyn

Post by krissyn »

I had play with the throttle, opening and closing it etc. I also disconnected the battery for a bit. After that tickover was fine, although a little high.

I also noticed a pronounced jolt when taking my foot off the accelerator, but I guess was the ECU readjusting itself.

Now it's settled down again it still keeps stopping.

Any further ideas?

If it worth getting the fault code read?
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

It might well be. It sure sounds like a clogged stepper though. But I am by no means an expert.
csd1_uk
1.8 8v

Post by csd1_uk »

i had the same problem, but again i used a nice short red line session in second and third a couple of times and it has gone.

Althought i would go down the stepper route, may in fact be knackered rather than just dirty, or just very dirty!
Due to Recent Cutbacks, The Light at The End of The Tunnel Has Been Switched Off!