2.1 TD cutting out after driving for about 5 mins

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

CalamityJames
2.0 16v

2.1 TD cutting out after driving for about 5 mins

Post by CalamityJames »

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one here, I've had the 406 running on veg now for a good couple of months with no problems, I change the fuel filter regularly (last done about 300 miles ago) but I ran into a very strange problem today.

It took quite a bit longer to start than usual (needed 3 rounds of the glow plugs) but once was running I assumed it was fine, however after I'd driven down the road and went to pull up to a set of traffic lights, the engine completely cut out as soon as I dipped the clutch, and it wouldn't restart no matter how many times I put the glow plugs on. Somehow moving it on the starter motor seemed to then get the engine to restart when I tried again, but before that it didn't even sound like it was trying to fire!

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be causing this? As I said, the fuel filter has been changed very recently. A bit panicked as I was supposed to be taking the car to Yorkshire this weekend!

Cheers,
James.

Edit: Also, to anyone who doesn't know, it's had a Bosch pump conversion :)
Peugeot 406 D8 2.1 TD GLX Estate running on Bosch VE fuel pump and SVO.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: 2.1 TD cutting out after driving for about 5 mins

Post by steve_earwig »

Strainer on the bottom of the fuel pick up (in the tank) full up with gunge?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

steve_earwig wrote:Strainer on the bottom of the fuel pick up (in the tank) full up with gunge?
Funnily enough, I just thought that myself! Now to find the how to guide!
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It just occurred to me that it should be obvious - is your manual fuel primer bulb thing trying to turn itself inside out?

CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

steve_earwig wrote:It just occurred to me that it should be obvious - is your manual fuel primer bulb thing trying to turn itself inside out?
I had a look at it after my 1 hour drive to work and it was fine, and also firm, but I didn't get a chance to check it when it cut out (I probably should have done)
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

my 2.1 has done this twice in the 3 years ive had it.once i got the aa out amd they couldnt find a fault either g ot it towed home and 6 hrs later started first touch of the key was fine for about 4 months then did it again never found out what caused it.
CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

omega wrote:my 2.1 has done this twice in the 3 years ive had it.once i got the aa out amd they couldnt find a fault either g ot it towed home and 6 hrs later started first touch of the key was fine for about 4 months then did it again never found out what caused it.
Odd! Well, if I can solve it I'll let you know, it nearly did it to me yesterday morning too (the revs dropped to about 500rpm and giving it throttle didn't help at all)

I'll try and check the fuel strainer at lunch time at work! :)
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

Quick update: I think it's air getting into the fuel system. There's a larger leak than I thought on injector 1 and when i squeezed the priming bulb I could hear air coming out of what I can only imagine due to the location was the bottom of the fuel filter housing, possibly the thing on the left (looked like a white nylon screw sort of thing)

Sound plausible?

James.
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Plausible

Sounds like the valve for draining water out of the filter bowl
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
tednixon

Post by tednixon »

Hi
I am a newbie who is quite technically minded and experienced in household stuff - rewiring/plumbing/genreally fixing stuff but have never worked on cars.
My Peugeot diesel 2.1 estate (R reg, 220,000 miles) will now, without fail, stall and display the Engine auto-diagnostics warning light ( logo looks like this -K I told you i was new to this!).
It does this after about 4 minutes of driving. Requires re-starting each time. Getting worse (sometimes 3 times in a row). Usually fine once running temp is achieved but quite hazardous until then.
Please - if you know the solution - help. My local garage has changed "temp sensors".
Tempted to take to Peugeot dealer but dont want to throw a lot of money away on a 220,000 mileage car, and wonder if they could fix anyway if local garage cant
Many thanks on advance
Ted
CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

Hi Ted,

The 'K-light' as it's known (it's actually a transistor) means the ECU has picked up a fault in there somewhere.

With my car, I've done away with the electronic injection pump so the K light is pretty much useless to me, however I'm assuming you haven't done this, so if you know someone with a Peugeot code reader the car should be able to tell you exactly what (it thinks) is wrong.

Alternatively you could invest in one on eBay yourself (this thread from a fellow 2.1 owner seems to have some useful insight)

Hope this helps!

James

PS: To anyone wondering if I solved my original problem, yes I did, the bleed off pipes WERE leaking and it's been fine ever since! :)
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

It's a long time since I drove my 2.1 but doesn't the K light come on just because the engine isn't running?

Don't go to Peugeot, they'll start off by saying your fuel pump has had it :roll:

CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

steve_earwig wrote:It's a long time since I drove my 2.1 but doesn't the K light come on just because the engine isn't running?
Good point, I didn't think of that! In that case it could well be air getting into the fuel system!
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

So far I've experienced air in fuel system problems due to, perished primer bulb, ageing leek off pipes and leaky injector seals. All these can make it a bitch to start and even cause me to coat the block with diesel from the bottom of the injectors but I've never had the engine cut out on me once it's running. Surely you'd need a large amount of air coming in to do that which in turn would mean a sizeable hole.
I might be talking crap but wouldn't a hole that big either make starting impossible or piss fuel all over the engine bay under revs???
Before I changed the injector seals i could see air bubble up around the injector when I blipped the throttle.

Thought, maybe the thicker veg oil wont pass through like the diesel did on mine but allows air in, you could try coating the likely suspects with a vaseline type gel and see if that helps. Put it on a cold engine and it should stop air getting in and therefore she'll stay primed and start easily, it will melt/burn off but it should point out the area you need to look at.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
CalamityJames
2.0 16v

Post by CalamityJames »

Mine was leaving little pools of vegetable oil under where it was parked, so I'd imagine it was a sizeable leak. It was also very tough to start.

The main leak off pipe between the pump and injector 1 wasn't the usual braided type and I think the internal diameter was too big. Fitting a set of new leak off pipes and a 1m pipe cut down for the pump to inj 1 from EuroCarParts (this and this respectively) seems to have cured all but starting it on 100% veg in the cold (to be expected really)
MPG and SVO tracker:
Image Image